Calories per serving: 219 kcals
- Total Fat 14g
- Carbs 16g
- Protein 8.6g
- 4.6g of fibre
Serves: 4 Prep time: 5 mins
1 tin of chickpeas (400g)
2 garlic gloves, crushed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp tahini
Juice of half a lemon
3 tbsp water
a little salt & pepper
pine nuts and paprika to decorate (optional)
- Rinse the chickpeas in a sieve and run a bit of cold water over them.
- Then place all of the ingredients, except for the pine nuts and paprika, into a food processor and blend really well until the mixture is lovely and smooth.
- You may find you need to add more water if you prefer the mixture a little more smooth.
- Add a few pine nuts for decoration and sprinkle with paprika if you want to add a little spice!
Create a great snack on the go!
- Try with a brown pitta bread for a healthy carbohydrate and protein packed snack. Brown Pitta = 137kcals
- 80g of carrot sticks = 22kcals. 80g provides you with 1 of your 5 a day.
- Organic chicken slice – 29kcals. Low fat and easy to keep in the fridge when those hunger pains take hold!
Chickpeas are high in soluble and insoluble fibre as well as being a great source of protein. Chickpeas are also high in iron, which can be particularly beneficial to pregnant or lactating women. Iron also helps to provide an energy boost so hummus makes a great snack to have on the go when life seems hectic and your time is short. Soluble fibre also helps to control your blood sugar level, as it takes longer for the body to digest, which means you’ll feel fuller for longer.
be.fit tip: Remember not to add more olive oil if you want to keep the calorie count down!